Sunday, February 17, 2008

the easiest pasta sauce recipe ever

+

Well, aside from just opening a jar of Barilla (which is awesome). :-D

This sauce is very easy, inexpensive, and delicious (well, we think it is, anyway).

Simple Pasta Sauce

extra virgin olive oil
1 can plain diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
one small onion, diced
2 or 3 cloves minced garlic, or the equivalent in garlic powder
salt
dried Italian herbs (I use the McCormick blend)
extra veggies of your choice

In a medium saucepan, or in your pasta pot after you boil the pasta and it is sitting in the colander, pour maybe four or so tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (I never measure this, so it's an approximation). Add onions and turn heat to low, stirring regularly. After a minute or so, add the garlic or garlic powder and continue to saute until the mixture is fragrant and onions start to become tender and translucent. Add canned tomatoes with juice, and tomato sauce. Stir and add salt and herbs to taste. Simmer for about five to ten minutes, stirring occasionally, then add to about 1 pound (or a little less) of cooked pasta (any shape) and toss to coat pasta. Serve with or without cheese (this is nice for Lent because of its versatility) and enjoy!

This is the simplest recipe, but if I had them on hand I would totally add things like diced bell peppers, sliced mushrooms, or diced zucchini. Yum! I would add a little more olive oil to the pan and saute them with the onions and garlic at the beginning for more tenderness and flavor.

God bless,
Mrs. Bear

1 comment:

Flannery said...

This is great—it's almost the same as the easy pasta sauce recipe I use! (I always include the bell peppers—yum.)