+
I love the "Easy Corn Bread" recipe from the back of the Quaker yellow cornmeal canister. Mine is now empty, so I wanted to copy the recipe down here in my online recipe box. The only thing I change is to make half the flour whole wheat, and sometimes I use melted butter instead of canola oil (oh yes I do). :-) This recipe will make either one large cornbread or one batch of cornbread muffins. Usually I double this recipe and make 2 breads or one bread and one tin of muffins, and freeze one of the batches.
Easy Corn Bread (adapted from Quaker cornmeal canister)
1 1/4 cups flour (I use part whole wheat, part unbleached)
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use canola...or melted butter!)
1 egg, beaten (it says you could use 2 eggwhites instead)
Preheat oven to 400F. Greasing muffin tin or line with muffin cups, or grease 8 or 9" round baking pan. In a medium/large bowl, mix flours, cornmeal, salt, sugar, and baking powder. Add milk, oil, and beaten egg; stir to combine. Pour into baking pan or scoop into muffin tin. Bake 15-20 minutes for muffins or 20-25 minutes for bread, or until a fork inserted in center comes out clean. Enjoy!
(This also freezes really well...wait until completely cool, then wrap muffins in plastic wrap and seal in freezer bag, or slice cornbread and wrap entire thing in plastic wrap, then seal in freezer bag. To defrost, just leave it on the counter or heat in microwave, toaster oven or oven.)
God bless,
Mrs. Bear
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
For some reason, using rice milk seems to make these even more moist and tasty.
Post a Comment