Sunday, February 17, 2008

the easiest cake recipe ever

+

I found this recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, where it is listed as "Pumpkin Bars." What it actually is is a giant, moist, fluffy cake that is not overly sweet and is totally easy to bake. You can use a can of pumpkin (hence the title), or the equivalent amount of applesauce. I would like to try it sometime with bananas too (and vanilla instead of spices). The pumpkin variety calls for cream cheese frosting, but really the cake is great by itself or sprinkled with powdered sugar (which is great because I haven't had the time to make homemade cream cheese frosting).

Pumpkin Bars

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves (I didn't have cloves so I used ground ginger and it was good!)
4 eggs, beaten
1 16-oz can plain pumpkin puree or 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 cup cooking oil (I usually use half canola oil and half melted coconut oil)
frosting or glaze of your choice, or powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. In medium/large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Mix in wet ingredients until thoroughly combined. Pour into ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan (I used a Pyrex dish). Bake for 25-30 minutes or until fork inserted near center comes out clean. Let cool, slice, and enjoy!!

God bless,
Mrs. Bear

No comments: