+
This is a great, cozy autumn recipe. It's good any time of day, including dinnertime, and this recipe makes enough pancakes so that you should be able to freeze the leftovers and have them ready to reheat anytime you want some more! (You can also halve the recipe if you want a smaller batch.) It's also a great way for kids to enjoy pumpkin--I have roasted squash before (even with goodies like butter and maple syrup) and the kids weren't interested, but they really love things like pumpkin bread and these pancakes.
Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups unbleached (white) flour
6 tsp baking powder (aluminum-free, if you can find it)
1 tsp salt
4 TBS brown sugar
1/4 tsp powdered ginger
2 1/2 tsp powdered cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs, beaten in small dish
4 TBS oil (I use canola oil)
approx. 4 cups milk
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
butter for frying and serving
maple syrup
In the largest bowl you have, combine flours, baking powder, salt, brown sugar (crumble it as you add it in so it will mix more easily), ginger, and cinnamon. Stir well, then add oil, vanilla, beaten eggs, pumpkin puree, and milk. Stir with mixing spoon just enough to moisten, then use a whisk very briefly just to break up lumps. Batter should be fairly thin, so add a little bit more milk if necessary. In a hot frying pan (cast iron is awesome for this), melt a bit of butter and then ladle in desired amount of pancake batter. Fry until bubbles on surface pop and remain open, then flip and fry until second side is golden brown. Serve with your choice of toppings...we love butter and real maple syrup! Enjoy! :-)
God bless,
Mrs. Bear
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh, these look DELICIOUS! I can't wait for Pancake Day! :)
Yum! I will have to try these out soon. Did you see that I commented on your soup recipe? I am still wondering about that.
Thank you both!
Helene, I hadn't seen your comment on the soup recipe until now! I'm sorry! Yes, I fixed it. :-)
I made your black beans and homemade tortillas recipe today—it was a hit. :)
Oh wow, awesome! :-)
Post a Comment