Wednesday, December 13, 2006

hot cocoa mix

+

I don't even remember exactly where this recipe came from; only that I found a few similar ones on the internet last year and modified them a little to end up with this one. I haven't taken the time to calculate whether or not it is cheaper than Swiss Miss, but it might be. The main reason I wanted homemade cocoa mix is because we drink a lot of cocoa during the cold winter months, and I didn't like that the storebought kind was full of partially hydrogenated soybean oil. Some homemade cocoa mix recipes replicate this ingredient by means of powdered coffee creamer (which is also mainly hydrogenated oils), as it adds creaminess and body to the final product (since powdered milk, which makes up most of the mix, is nonfat). I have found that adding a splash of whole milk to my cup of cocoa after it's mixed does the same thing in a healthier way.

Hot Cocoa Mix

2 cups instant nonfat powdered milk
1/2 cup Hershey's cocoa powder (just plain unsweetened cocoa)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 pinches salt

In a large mixing bowl, blend all ingredients together thoroughly. Transfer to large tupperware or other sealed container (I use one of those huge canning jars like in the granola photo). If there's room, a neat thing to do is to add one of those little 1/8-cup coffee scoops to the mix container to help measure out each cup. Use about 1/4 cup mix per cup of hot water; add a splash of whole (or 2 percent, or half and half, etc.) milk for more richness, and enjoy!

God bless,
Mrs. Bear

No comments: