Tuesday, December 19, 2006

apple-cinnamon pancakes

+

(Sorry for the lack of photos lately; I will be posting more soon. )

I decided to make these as a breakfast-themed dinner the other night, as we had just gotten a gift of some nice orchard apples. Everyone loved them! (This recipe makes about a million pancakes; if you don't have lots of people to feed, either halve this recipe, or (better yet) make the large recipe and put all the extras in the freezer to reheat in the toaster oven or microwave later!) Next time I make these I want to try adding a little bit of vanilla extract to see if it enhances the flavors.

Whole Wheat Apple-Cinnamon Pancakes

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups unbleached white flour
6 tsp baking powder (preferably aluminum-free, if your store stocks it)
1 tsp salt
4 TBS sugar
4 eggs
4 TBS oil (I use canola)
approx. 2 to 3 cups milk, enough to get the batter to the consistency you prefer (I prefer a thinner batter)
approx. 3 small apples, peeled and diced into about dime-sized pieces
1 TBS ground cinnamon (yes, one tablespoon!)
butter for frying and serving
maple syrup

In very large mixing bowl, blend all dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon). In smaller mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, then add to the large bowl along with oil and milk. Mix, adding more milk until desired consistency is reached (we like a thinner batter--this is a hearty recipe with the whole wheat, so the pancakes will still be big and fluffy; possibly too big and fluffy if the batter isn't thin). At this point I like to very briefly use a wire whisk just to beat out the larger lumps in the batter. Next, fold in the cubed apples. Heat up a 10" frying pan (I love to use a cast-iron skillet for this) and melt a small pat of butter, spreading it around with a spatula. Using a soup ladle, add some pancake batter to the pan (we love giant pancakes) and smooth it out a bit. Fry until bubbles pop and remain open on upper surface of pancake, then flip and fry until golden brown on both sides. Stack on a plate, and serve with butter and real maple syrup! Yummy! Wee Bear, upon receiving his plate, declared that Mommy should make these pancakes every day!

God bless,
Mrs. Bear

No comments: