Monday, September 10, 2007

yummy soup

+

This recipe is from a very simple cookbook I bought when I first got married (The Starving Students' Vegetarian Cookbook, by Dede Hall), and it's very good. Yes, purists would insist on making their own vegetable stock, but I will have plenty of time for that when I am retired and my kids are adults themselves. Moms of young children are allowed to use broth that comes in a carton, and it was organic, so maybe I get points for that. ;-)

The soup is basically a corn chowder, and it is hearty and delicious. Together with a salad and some crackers or bread, this would make a really nice dinner. I have listed the recipe below using the quantities that I use, which are twice the amounts listed in the book. This should generously serve the equivalent of four adults.

Cheese and Potato Soup with Corn

-approximately 32 oz vegetable broth (I think I used Swanson's Organic, which comes in a carton. It's really good.)
-2 small onions, diced
-2 cups frozen corn niblets
-2 cups instant mashed potato flakes (you can also peel, boil, and mash two or three potatoes and just add those)
-1 to 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
-3 cups milk
-salt and pepper to taste

In large pot, heat broth, onion, and corn. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to simmer and cover pot with lid for five minutes. Turn heat off, then stir in potatoes. Add cheese, milk, salt, and pepper. Turn heat back on and simmer for five more minutes, stirring occasionally. Enjoy!

God bless,
Mrs. Bear

2 comments:

Hélène said...

I know this is really late commenting on this, but I was wondering what you meant by 1/5 cups cheese. Surely it doesn't call for 1/10th of a cup of cheese in the original recipe?

Mrs. Bear said...

Oh my goodness, I somehow missed that typo altogether. Your question about 1/10th of a cup made me laugh out loud! I double-checked the original recipe, which calls for one cup of grated cheese, which would make 2 cups in the recipe as I have it printed here. To be honest, though, anywhere from one to two cups works really well, and I pretty much never use an entire two cups but the soup is always delicious!