Tuesday, February 27, 2007

convenience food

+

I started making this chili a lot when I had two small children, including a babe in arms, a very small kitchen, and a hubby who worked very long hours. I know how to make chili very similar to this, either from scratch with dried beans or plain canned beans and my own blend of spices, but when I needed something I could prepare in a matter of minutes, possibly while holding a baby, and that would be healthy, delicious, filling, and pleasing to lots of different people, this really came in handy. I still use it a lot and it often gets compliments. It's so simple that sometimes I wonder if I should hesitate to offer the recipe, but it's so good that I wanted to share.

Veggie Chili (serves 4 or 5)

*3 16-oz cans Bush's mild chili beans (yes, brand loyalty here)
*1 16-oz can diced tomatoes with jalapeno chilies (preferably finely diced; if not, you can cut them finer if you'd like)
*tortilla chips
*sour cream
*shredded or sliced cheddar or monterey jack cheese

In medium/large saucepan, stir together beans and tomatoes (with all liquids) over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil for a minute, then lower heat to a simmer for maybe ten minutes or so. Turn off heat and let cool for a minute or two. Stir and serve with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips. Enjoy! :-)

God bless,
Mrs. Bear

No comments: